You know what, Borobudur and Prambanan ticket price for foreigner is almost 10x than ours as a local but I’m gonna tell you that get into these both temple is really worth it. Borobudur temple has been one of 7 wonder in the world and it is biggest Buddha temple in Asia that you must visit during your trip to Indonesia. In other hand, Prambanan is Hindhu temple that also become of tourist attraction that I still recommend you to visit. In Yogyakarta yes we have few more temple that you can visit such as Ratu Boko Temple, Mendut Temple, and Plaosan Temple but if this gonna be your first time to Indonesia so Borobudur and Prambanan is enough for you. Since 3 years ago I serve my guest on airbnb, they used to don’t know that their student card will belong to a “magic card” to reduce Borobudur and Prambanan ticket price. Just ask any travelers in this world 50% discount is a huge and really disappointed if you don’t use this privilege.
So if you plan to go to Indonesia, don’t forget to bring your student card wherever you go, or if you afraid to lost just bring a copy and take a picture of the original card on your smartphone and just show the officer if they ask you the original one. Just see the picture below to see how much the admission fee for Borobudur, Prambanan and Ratu Boko temple. Through these 3 temples you can pay both in Indonesian Rupiah and US Dollar but I suggest you to pay in Indonesian Rupiah to get better fare than dollars.
Few things that you should consider to visit temple
- You can go to these temples with a tank top and short but better you prepare your trousers or t-shirt just in case you go to these temple during the praying period like Vesak day
- November to April will be rainy season so prepare an umbrella or rain coat on your backpack
- Be light traveler
- Get ready to become a “fake” celebrity since so many locals will ask you to take a picture together especially if you have a blonde hair
- So many old lady offering you to buy a miniature and souvenir but usually they offer you in a high price so go bargain about 50-60% below the price
- If you don;t want to buy anything just say No, Thanks or “Tidak, Terima Kasih”