Visiting this museum is so wonderful cause you will see one of the Sultan’s treasure, the Horse Carriage. Since hundred years ago, horse carriage is a special transportation that regularly used by the King for all formal events and ceremony such wedding, celebration, or even the funeral and through this museum you will see the carriage that made about hundred years ago with super fine wooden materials and excellent maintenance so they still can used till now.
It’s big and mega big horse carriage especially that used personally by the King or called as a Sultan. When you walk to Sultan Palace and willing to get in through the back door, where the ninth King’s museum is located, than you will see this Museum Kereta easily. With the cheap fare and photography permit than you will walk into the museum where the great carriage are placed and ‘get rest’ while there is no special event.
Arriving in Yogyakarta
You can simply visiting Yogyakarta by flight or train, just consider that Yogyakarta has only 1 airport called Adisucipto which 17 km from the city center and need 1,5 hour to reach by Trans Jogja bus. It;s super cheap cause only costs IDR3.600 per person one way.
For the trains st, Yogyakarta got 2 railway st called Yogyakarta Tugu which is only 200 meter from the city center Malioboro (Executive and Business class train) and Lempuyangan which in 7 km from Malioboro (mostly served for economy class train). Kindly check your embassy to arrange Visa to visit Indonesia and make sure you got 6 months passport validity at minimum.
I uploading all the horse carriage museum photographs in high resolution and once you interesting with it you can buy it on shutterstock
This museum located in Jalan Rotowijayan Blok no 1, Panembahan, Kraton, Yogyakarta just next to Kantor Kecamatan Kraton
- Admission fee IDR5.000 | photography permit IDR1.000 – I tried to asked the officer so the fare will be SAME no matter you are foreigner or Indonesian
- Open from 08.30 to approx. 15.00
- Nearby destination, Sultan Palace (100 meter); Tamansari (800 meter)
Transportation to go to the museum
Walking is the best way, if you bring a car or scooter than park it at Sultan Palace parking lot, scooter charge will be IDR3.000 and car will be IDR5.000. Once you park your vehicles than walk to this carriage museum and enjoy the beauty of the treasure within 30 – 45 minutes. When you need a translator, than the officer will help you as well. Don’t be surprise if they wouldn’t ask the price cause this gonna be impolite for the tradition of Javanese but I suggest you to deliver IDR50.000 to IDR75.000 for translating and guiding you to this entire museum.
Personal Recommendation of Nearby Hotels
When you expect to stay in city center than I personally suggest you to stay with several hotels below:
- Grand Inna Malioboro – a beautiful and classic hotel in the center of Malioboro, even when you touch down to this city by train and stop at Yogyakarta Tugu railway st. than you can simply walk cause it placed only 200 meter from the station, get it too from Booking.com
- Pesonna Tugu – a brand new hotel since 2017 and definitely easy to find food for whole day, check other competitive price through Booking too
- The 101 Tugu – I often suggest my readers with this hotel, it’s a brand new and I ever stay here with wife and kids, highly recommended! sometimes Booking have a greater price too, just compare it through here
Other recommendation when you have less than 3 days in Yogyakarta
I could say that if you gonna be your 1st time to Yogyakarta than 3 days is quite enough to sightseeing around the city. Most of foreigners will spend no more than 3 days in this beautiful city cause everything is quite near and easy to reach by public transport or even scooter or car rental with drivers.
Down here I will give you my personal recommendation of attraction and place to visit in Yogyakarta:
- Ramayana Ballet – When you visiting Prambanan temple in the afternoon and see the relief on the walls than you will definitely see this live show of Ramayana folk story. It’s 2 hours magical show with great performance from professional dancers
- Borobudur Sunrise and Prambanan Tour in 1 day – Join a tour for both temple in 1 day is one great choice, it is efficient for your time!
- 7 Things to do in Yogyakarta for super tight of time traveler – read my short tips if you only has several days in Yogyakarta
You will definitely see the beautiful history of ancient Yogyakarta Kingdom when visiting Horse Carriage Museum!
Thank you for read my Yogyakarta travel story,
If you interesting in learning more about Yogyakarta, you may check my 44 things to do in Yogyakarta eBook, which include recommendation of attractions, hotel – budget accommodation, bets street food, and simple words to asking help or say greeting both in Bahasa and Javanese language.
Have you ever been to Borobudur?
Leave a comment below, I would love to hear from you now!